Blue Crown Hanging Parrot

This section is especially for Blue Crown Hanging Parrot, Blue Rumped Parrot and Long tail Parakeet.
Harry
Hatchling

Parrots Locale

Postby Harry » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:16 am

Hi Oliver and Tanin,

Thank you both for your replies. I have the birds more than a month now and followed just about everthing available in the internet as well as pet shops. So far so good I think. But being new in this line I guess only time will tell.

The Blue-rumped is eating well most at the times. He just loved sunflower seed and white millet. I also feed him all typed of fruits like banana, apple, pear, rambutan, jambus, also palm oil fruits and kangkong. The funny thing when he eats is that he usualy bite a piece of food and munch and suck up all the juice an then throw away all the pulp! So you can imagine that with low fibre his poop is very-very liquid. Same goes for the serindit. This I read to be normal for both species.

The serindit I have to add nectar from time to time (lick,lick,lick), fresh flower and green leaves. They adored jambu leaves, biting small pieces at tucked it under their breasts feathers!

I hope my treatment are ok. The Blue-rumped is getting quite tame and starting to nibble my finger everytime I put my finger thru the cage! The Serindits are feeding each other from time to time - either they are a pair or one is younger than the other. Any comment on this Tanin?

HARRY
Owner of 3 Serindits, a pair of Puling and 1 male Zebra Finch that sings all the time.

adfoo
Talking Birds

Postby adfoo » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:15 pm

hi harry
welcome to the forum. i have some hanging parrots(serendits), eight of them. i got them from a friend who is breeding them in a big aviary here in ipoh. they are really cool birds. i hope to have them in a big aviary too and start breeding them someday. they are surprisingly clean when kept in a big aviary. they enjoy eating meal worms too and cant be without food for more than half a day or they get ruffle feathers and dont do well. they love pisang emas.

Harry
Hatchling

Postby Harry » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:15 am

Hi Adfoo,

Thank you for your valuable input especially about the mealworm and the feeding. So someone beat Muzaffar on breeding the Serindit eh?

Your friend that breed the Serindit what sort of nestbox that he used? I know one budgie breeder in Alor Star uses coconut husks successfully. Any further advice on breeding them? Just for my knowledge and the forum.

Are your serindit tame? How old should the male be before it has the red chest feathers? My birds are very shy. How are yours.
Owner of 3 Serindits, a pair of Puling and 1 male Zebra Finch that sings all the time.

Tanin
Site Admin

Re: Parrots Locale

Postby Tanin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:31 am

Harry wrote: The Serindits are feeding each other from time to time - either they are a pair or one is younger than the other. Any comment on this Tanin?

HARRY

Hi Harry,

In my opinion, the bird maybe a pair... :lol: it is a very good sign indeed! :lol: :lol: btw, are they one male and one female? :lol:

Yes, seem like someone have break the record...bravo for the breeder :D .
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

Harry
Hatchling

Postby Harry » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:54 am

Hi guys,

I feel honored to be transfered here!

The male has yet to developed its red chest. Someone mentioned to me that when the honey coloured beak has turned shiny black it won't be long until the red chest feather shows up. Anyway the golden coloured feather at the back and the yellow upper back feathers are already quite prominent. So no mistaken that one is male.

As for the other one is getting its black beak and the colour is duller than male. It lacks the gold colour and the yellow feathers at the back. So this is a great maybe that its a female.

Well it pleases me no end should they be a pair! I guess it a good start and motivate me further keeping them. Syok la!

One question you guys. My Blue-rumped had a night fright last night. I didn't know what to do, so just turned on the light untill it calmed down and turned the light off again. Is this a right thing to do? Both cages are outside.

adfoo
Talking Birds

Postby adfoo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:27 pm

hi harry,
the nest box size for serendits that my friends uses are about 5x5x5 inches with one side half covered. no hole and u can see bird nesting. mine are not tame. also for birds that eat friuts, its important to feed some calcium. (i use nekton msa) mealworm are great to provide protein.

Return to “Malaysian Origin parrot”