Dry food for Shamas

A beautiful bird with beautiful song.
irwan69mse
Wise Owl

Dry food for Shamas

Postby irwan69mse » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:23 pm

Hi Guys,

As we all know, variety of live food is good for our Shama. I am wondering, is it good to give variety of dry food to our Shama? Any comment please. I am asking this question because now petshop is selling variety of dry food, different ingredients. Some include honey, eggs, etc (packed from Malaysia or Indonesia. Some concentrate on the amount of vitamins (from Australia or France).

Irwan

Md_Taufik_Rohim

Re: Dry food for Shamas

Postby Md_Taufik_Rohim » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:08 am

irwan69mse wrote:Hi Guys,

As we all know, variety of live food is good for our Shama. I am wondering, is it good to give variety of dry food to our Shama? Any comment please. I am asking this question because now petshop is selling variety of dry food, different ingredients. Some include honey, eggs, etc (packed from Malaysia or Indonesia. Some concentrate on the amount of vitamins (from Australia or France).

Irwan

Hi Irwan,

Each of us human got different needs and this goes the same for our little feathered friends. try to pick what is best for your birds and what i normally do it choose something that is easy to get and purchase and this routine must go on if you care so much for your feathered friend(shama). i'll include something that i read and this prove to be very good for my birds. this is taken from my goodfriend website.

I have not found any processed dry food whether manufactured locally or imported that is completely suitable for the Shama. Choose the dry food that most closely results in the correct type of feces.

When starting to feed a new dry food, make sure that the bird is actually eating the food. My own method is to feed only dry food from morning until 4.00 p.m when the birds take their daily bathes. Thereafter, they are given as much live food as they can eat for the rest of the day. In this way, I make sure that the birds will eat the dry food. My friend who is a vet told me this story. He had a wild-caught Shama and he would tame it by frequently offering it live food. He noticed that the bird appeared to become tame very quickly in that it would hop down from its perch to take the live food from him. It was only after some time that he realized that the bird appears so tame was because it was starving as it was not eating its dry food.
This is how I assess the quality of any dry food for my Shamas. I choose the one that, when fed to the Shama, produces dropping which closely matches that of a Shama that eats live food. Let me explain.

The feces of a Shama that eats only live food will have a large patch of white with a little darker portion in the centre. Around the white patch, there may be a transparent liquid. The liquid is urine, the white is urea which is a by-product of eating a high protein live food diet and the dark portion is the actual feces.

The reason for the small amount of feces is that the bird is able to metabolize most of the live food that it consumes and there is little wastage. From this, it may be concluded that the dry food to feed the Shama is one that produces feces that is most similar to the feces produced when the bird consumes live food.

Contrast the droppings from a Shama eating live food with those produced from eating, say, pellets meant for feeding chickens. It will be seen that the droppings from eating chicken pellets contain a large amount of feces and very little urea. These result from the fact that a great part of the food that the bird eats is passed out as waste because its digestive system is not able to assimilate the nourishment that it needs from the food.

The Shama that is fed a food such as chicken pellets, will tend to eat more to try to obtain the required protein. This results in an unbalanced diet for the bird. In the long term the consequences may be seen in poor feathering, false molts, lethargy and listlessness, lack of song etc.

Plz get back to me ok Irwan so that we can discuss again. you read this first. even the most expensive dry food in the market now may not be suitable for your shama.

Taufik.

irwan69mse
Wise Owl

Postby irwan69mse » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:37 pm

Hi Taufik,

Sorry for the late reply. I was buzy with my office work. Thank you for the information given. I will try some of the dry food from the petshop. Thanks again.

Regards,
Irwan.

Md_Taufik_Rohim

Postby Md_Taufik_Rohim » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:24 am

irwan69mse wrote:Hi Taufik,

Sorry for the late reply. I was buzy with my office work. Thank you for the information given. I will try some of the dry food from the petshop. Thanks again.

Regards,
Irwan.

Hi Irwan,

What's happening? i hope your shama is coping well with the change of food. be careful not to change them drastically. take care.

Taufik.

irwan69mse
Wise Owl

Postby irwan69mse » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:16 am

Hi Taufik,

My shamas are all OK. Before I create this subject, I was thinking out loud. All this time I am giving dog food to my shamas as their dry food. I was thinking, if I am one of the shama, I might get boring eating dog food everyday. That is why I create this subject. So now, I am trying to find other suitable dry food for my shamas. Just to give them different taste and maybe make them more happy. I do not know my actions will be good or otherwise. What do you think Taufik? To other members, if you have any thought, please share with us.

Irwan.

Md_Taufik_Rohim

Postby Md_Taufik_Rohim » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:14 am

irwan69mse wrote:Hi Taufik,

My shamas are all OK. Before I create this subject, I was thinking out loud. All this time I am giving dog food to my shamas as their dry food. I was thinking, if I am one of the shama, I might get boring eating dog food everyday. That is why I create this subject. So now, I am trying to find other suitable dry food for my shamas. Just to give them different taste and maybe make them more happy. I do not know my actions will be good or otherwise. What do you think Taufik? To other members, if you have any thought, please share with us.

Irwan.

Good day Irwan,

What i personally think that you should stop giving your shama dog food and it's not right for him to be eating them in the first place. i alwalys emphasis to my close friends to put oneselves in the shoes of the birds in our case now is shama. so what you should do is that choose one dry food label in Brunei which you strongly feel that is the most suitable for your bugdet and the most important thing is for your shama. sometimes the most expensive dry food may not be suitable in comparison with the cheaper one. if you got the chance to read in www.shama.com.sg you will understand what i really mean. and you must be well inform that this shama is a carnivorous bird...major bulk of their diet in the wild is insects(1001 types) so we cannot depended too much on this dry food. dry food is not a staple food for shama. try your very best to give as much variety livefoods as possible and supplement them with Vydex like it has been mentioned a few hundred times in uncle david's website. when all this have been met strictly, you will see a vast different. but all this cannot make a shama sing better with super songs variety and repeitoire as all this is all genetic. but needless to say you'll have a more happy and healthy shama. always remember a healthy and happy shama is a singing one. thanx see you soon. keep in touch.

Taufik.

Return to “Shama - White-rumped Shama”