No singing!!!

A beautiful bird with beautiful song.
JasonBirds
Weaning Bird

No singing!!!

Postby JasonBirds » Mon May 30, 2016 8:58 am

I have had my Shama for a few months now but he NEVER sings!

When I first got him he did not sing... I thought it was because he was in a new place and frightened.

After 3 weeks he started to moult his feathers.. still not singing... I thought it was because he was moulting.

Now he has finished his moult and looks beautiful. But still not singing 2 weeks after moult.

He only sings a very quite song when he is resting or when I water the garden. I tried playing CDs, You Tube, etc but that makes him scared and just keep still and listen.

I have now moved his cage to new place in case he did not like where he was before. Its in the shade and in a tree with lots of leaves for privacy.

I spend a lot of time to make his food and clean his cage, give him a bath, etc and worry about him.

I think he is healthy.. very lively and bright. But maybe not happy? If he does not start to sing soon I will free him into the forest... I feel sad for him and worry he is unhappy.

Tanin
Site Admin

Re: No singing!!!

Postby Tanin » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:00 am

I am not sure if it is because of individual birds.... there are one trapper told me last time that if the birds is 'old' when got catch, sometimes they wont sing even if we keep them for long time.

I personally have an individual male which is rarely sing, even have been kept for more than 2 years... even the female sing more than him lol.
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

JasonBirds
Weaning Bird

Postby JasonBirds » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:27 am

He did not adapt to captivity. I think he must have been caught from the wild... and as you say, probably an older bird.

He would not eat the dry food or any kind, and only eat mealworms. After a few more weeks he started to loose condition and get less active and looked very depressed

I was thinking I did not know how to care for this kind of bird. So one day I opened his cage door and set him free in my garden.

A few months later I took the courage to buy another Shama... He is captive raised. He is completely different to the wild one I set free. He is super Fridley and has no fear. He will feed from my hand straight away and will eat the dry food and almost anything I offer him.

He also started singing after only 2 days in his new home. I was so happy I now have 2 shama birds and they are both singing and lively.

I will make sure any other birds I get and not from the wild. In my opinion it is worth spending a little more money of a captive bred bird because they are easier to care for and adapt to captivity naturally.

Tanin
Site Admin

Postby Tanin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:42 pm

JasonBirds wrote:He did not adapt to captivity. I think he must have been caught from the wild... and as you say, probably an older bird.

He would not eat the dry food or any kind, and only eat mealworms. After a few more weeks he started to loose condition and get less active and looked very depressed

I was thinking I did not know how to care for this kind of bird. So one day I opened his cage door and set him free in my garden.

A few months later I took the courage to buy another Shama... He is captive raised. He is completely different to the wild one I set free. He is super Fridley and has no fear. He will feed from my hand straight away and will eat the dry food and almost anything I offer him.

He also started singing after only 2 days in his new home. I was so happy I now have 2 shama birds and they are both singing and lively.

I will make sure any other birds I get and not from the wild. In my opinion it is worth spending a little more money of a captive bred bird because they are easier to care for and adapt to captivity naturally.

That's right Jason,

Normally the bird breed in captivity will adapt faster in the new home. In my collection, I have mixed wild caught and captive breed bird... and yes... the price of captive breed is more than wild caught... but definitely worth it
Best Regards,
Tanin

Now you can share any posting that you like to FBook!

For more more detail on how to share, please visit:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11885

Return to “Shama - White-rumped Shama”